Monday 10 October 2011

Well, what a great day.

So that's what I get for being prepared. Worried that I wouldn't catch my ferry to Cyprus today I went to a lot of effort over a week ago to rearrange my trip, cancelling a night in Ankara, driving all the way through to Göreme a day early, changing the booking there as well, booking a room in Taşucu where the ferry leaves from, trying to call a couple of days in advance to confirm the ferry and making a sacrifice of a choenix of wheat (look it up) and a small goat to Poseidon. And this morning when I went to check in (half an hour early) I discover it isn't running due to bad weather. And my day didn't get much better. In fact my bad luck didn't even start there - I woke up with a little bit of a stomach bug. Nothing bad enough to put me out of commission, but let's just say I felt ... uncomfortable the whole day. And it's been horribly muggy which did't help.
After some time in the local internet café working out my options - do I wait for the ferry tomorrow, do I travel all the way back to Istanbul and try to catch the 9:30 plane to Cyprus from there, do I say bugger it and catch a plane back to Germany, do I head back to Göreme and see what I missed - I eventually decided on the first option, cutting my already short visit to the island even shorter. Ideally I wanted about a week there, but due to the irregular reasonably priced flights back to Germany I originally shortened it to four days. Now the ferry has made it a pitiful three. So, trying to make the most of it, I headed today to the nearby town of Silifke to see if there was anything worth seeing or doing. At the tourist office I was handed a xeroxed copy of a map that looked like it was made in MS Paint. However it did promise some interesting sounding sights in the "ancient city" area as well as an archaeological museum. I headed off to the museum to find my disappointments were only just beginning - the place was closed. Apart from that I can only assume that the map that I thought was in English was actually in Turkish, and that things like Theatre, Necropolis, Mosaic and Water Cistern actually meant nuanced variations on "Slum" and "Ghetto", and that "Ancient City" simply meant "don't go here after dark". The only thing that I was in any way capable of finding in the spot where it was supposed to be was the Roman Temple and, well, I'll let the picture of that speak for itself. Except this computer won't accept my camera. Today just keeps getting better.

1 comment: