Monday 25 July 2011

Dublin Sightseeing

Before you ask, here are a few things I didn't do/see in Dublin:
Guinness Storehouse
Jameson's distillery


Back of the Guinness Distillery,
if it'll shut you up.

I  visited the Guinness storehouse 4 years ago, and honestly didn't think it was worth a second go. It's very institutional and touristy and, frankly, more of a theme park than a museum. And it costs an arm and a leg. The Jameson's distillery is a damn sight better, but not as good as the one in Cork and offers nothing extra on that one, so I thought I'd save it as well until then.
What I did on my one sightseeing day was visit two museums, drink some Guinness and walk around a lot.
First I took a a few snaps of Dublin Castle. You know, because that's what you do when you're a tourist in Dublin. Courtesy of Wikipedia: it was built after the Norman invasion in the early 13th century for all the normal reasons one builds a castle: protection of the city and the King's treasure, for the administration of Justice and for really sick rave parties.
Arse of Dublin Castle
The Irish Elk's preferred method of
locomotion was windsurfing with
rollerskates

Of course it's also famous for being hugely important in the Irish war of Independance in the early 20th century. It was of course the "nerve centre" of the resistance, and on "Bloody Sunday", the 21st of November 1920, when the war really escalated, three important nationalists were killed there by the british.
It seems I travelled all the way from
Australia to Ireland to see Australian animals
So then I headed off to the Natural History museum which I didn't manage to see last time here. Obviously they had something against me then, because it was closed for maintainance. This time, however, it was mercifully open. Now, generally I don't take many pictures in museums, but I took two in this one. Typically museum pictures are boring as batshit to everybody, including the people who were there taking the bloody photos. But there was one thing I had to take a picture of: the Giant Irish Deer. Now these were dirty great big buggers of deer. Just look at those antlers!
Of course it died out over 7000 years ago. Hard to imagine why - I sure as hell wouldn't want to mess with one!
By the way, I would like to apologize for the format of the photos on this page. Blogspot is being very difficult.

2 comments:

  1. ACCORDING TO THE PHOTO IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THE IRISH ELK'S PREFERRED METHOD OF LOCOMOTION WAS BEING DRAGGED THROUGH THE AIR BY HIS HAIR BY A GIANT BET.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - Giant BAT, of course

    ReplyDelete