Thursday 21 July 2011

Pub Challenge #1: The Leprechaun

So, I'm doing a pub challenge. My brother, an astronomy PhD student, has been to about different 80 pubs this year, last I heard. I think he's aiming for 100. Well, I'm spending 4 months in Europe, so I thought I couldn't allow him to go unchallenged. At the end of the week I'm heading off to Ireland and Scotland for a month, so I should be able to beat him in one night just walking down the street. But, just to get into the swing of it, I decided to go to the local Irish Pub in Heide for Pub #1.
Heide is the capital city of Dithmarschen, the Western shire of Schleswig-Holstein. It's a nice little city of about 20,000 people and supposedly has the biggest marketplace in Germany. Here is a picture, but I admit I cheated a little bit as I didn't take the picture myself.
Heide Marketplace. Picture by Joerg Ehlers
Anyway, the little Irish Pub "The Leprechaun", is just around the corner. As far as Irish theme Pubs outside of Ireland are concerned, this one wasn't too bad. My friend Jan, who lives in Heide, introduced me to the Pub. I've been in a few of these "genuine" Irish pubs before, and generally they have leprehauns and shamrocks painted all over the walls, and are just a little bit embarrasing. This one, however, was quite tastefully done - something I wouldn't have guessed from the outside and from the name. Naturally they had Guinness on tap, and also Stowfords Cider and Kilkenny. Unusually the Kilkenny was carbonated, rather than nitroginated so you don't get that nice cascade effect, and the head goes down pretty quickly. Oh well, better than nothing.
So, without further ado, the photo evidence for my first pub in my own persoanl Pub challenge:

1 comment: