Thursday 11 August 2011

Loch Lomond

I'm seeing another disturbing pattern emerging. After all my grievances getting to Glasgow, I had reruns of it getting to my youth hostel on Loch Lomond. The information I had about it told me it was in a town called Alexandria right near the Loch. The people at the bus station were woefully unable to tell me how to get there, so I took a train with no trouble. When I got there the lady at the station told me the hostel was actually closer to the town of Balloch, a further 15 minutes down the road. So I had to take a bus after all. There were two services going to Balloch, stopping on either side of the road. It was pouring with rain so I naturally stood on the side with a bus shelter. And of course the first bus to come along stopped on the other side. Cars were whizzing past, so I signalled to the driver, but he didn't see me. I had to wait for the next one.
As I got on I asked the driver if he was stopping anywhere near the hostel. He told me when we arrived he'd show me how to get there. Of course another passenger thought this wasn't the best way to go so suggested I get off at the next stop and take a different bus. Then another passenger had a better idea, and before I knew it the whole bus was in conversation about how to best get me to my destination. The bus stopped and the conversation spilled out onto people in the street. I stood there quietly hoping I would get there somehow.
Eventually a girl sitting next to me said she'll be taking a taxi to near the hostel from the next stop anyway, so I just decided to get a lift with her. Balloch is really only half an hour away from Glasgow, but it probably took me an hour and a half all up.
But it was worth it. The hostel is absolutely stunning. It's an old manor called Achendennan House and it was apparently built on the site of Robert the Bruce's hunting lodge. Now, unfortunately I am again using a computer that won't accept my camera, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the pictures.
I arrived at shortly after 11am and to my disappointment I found that the damn hostel is closed between 10am and 3 pm. Let me stress, my impression of the area so far was that it was quite in the middle of nowhere.
Wailing and gnashing my teeth I decided to ring the "after 12" bell. Waiting about a minute I was greeted by a bloke wearing latex gloves, obviously in the middle of cleaning. He told me I couldn't check in yet, but I could leave my stuff in the foyer. He also told me how to get to the visitors' centre for the Loch, which was surprisingly close but well hidden. So I set off again, in the rain.
The visitors' centre is a big, modern complex of buildings with shops and cafes aplenty. And I finally caved in and bought a rain jacket. Of course it stopped raining about 20 minutes later.
I also took a cruise of Loch Lomond. Unfortunately I had the bad luck of taking the same cruise as a tour bus full of Americans. Ignorant annoying Americans too. One of them even argued with the barman (bars are not uncommon on Irish and Scottish cruise boats, even relatively small ones like this) about why she couldn't pay in Euros. The barman very patiently explained to her about the difference in currency and exchange rates, but I honestly don't think she got it.
But yankees aside, it was a very nice cruise. Loch Lomond is the largest body of fresh water on mainland Britain, and it's scattered with little islands and surrounded by mountains. Sitting on the Highland Boundary faultline, it makes a natural border between the highlands and the lowlands. There was a bit of a commentary on the various islands, but to be honest they were largely forgettable. One island, however, is home to a colony of Wallabies introduced in the 1950s. I watched it closely as we passed it on the lookout, but all I saw was a few emus, a koala and a tasmanian tiger.
Other than a few tidbits of interesting information, the cruise's highlight was really just the spectacular scenery, which you will unfortunately have to wait for. I, however, just have to look out of the window. Jealous?

1 comment:

  1. "all I saw was a few emus, a koala and a tasmanian tiger"

    ...and an old rocking chair

    ReplyDelete