Thursday 4 August 2011

What's the big fuss about Matt Molloy's anyway? (Pub Challenge 29 - 31)

So, you might have noticed a couple of posts ago my making a huge fuss about a certain Matt Molloy's Pub in Westport. Matt Molloy is a member of the seminal Irish folk band the Chieftains, who pretty much created modern Irish folk as we know it today. His Pub, then, is a pretty legendary place in Irish Celtic music. Some people come to Westport for a pilgimage to Croagh Patrick, I came to Westport for a pilgrimage to a Pub.
Live Music hadn't started at Matt Molloy's yet, so I went to
J. Ging's to wet my whistle
The Clock Tavern
Matt Molloy's
To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. It was way too crowded for one thing. A lot of American tourists with an Irish great-great-grandmother, obviously, heard that this place was somehow an important destination for Irish music lovers. (Imagine the most infuriatingly condescending Americn accent saying "oh, real Irish music? How cuuute!)
There was live music in the tiny, crowded back room. But surrounded by a bunch of yanks who didn't really appreciate it anyway yelling "yee-haa!" as if this was some country barn dance in the deep south. I wish I were making this up. I even saw a couple of those ridiculously oversized cowboy hats texans seemingly love wearing. I might have to come back here in the winter when it's not so crowded...

Now, again this computer has decided it's going to be difficult about photos. I'm going to try to post the next 2 pubs in a seperate post.



No comments:

Post a Comment