Thursday 1 September 2011

Bremen and Pub Challenge 88

Long time no update. I've been chilling in Germany for the last week or so and I've done relatively little, but now it's getting exciting again. So I'm sitting in an unashamedly expensive internet cafè in Venice, writing about Bremen. That's right - consider yourselves priveleged that I'm paying way too much to sit inside at a computer in the most beautiful city in the world to keep you all informed. Yeah, I know. I'm a great guy. Although, I at least expected for the price I'm paying that the connection would be a wee bit faster, but this is Venice.
Bremen
The flight to Venice this morning left at the barbaric time of 6:40, and left from Bremen which is a good 2 to 3 hours away from Eckernfoerde where I had been staying, so naturally I came to Bremen a couple of days earlier and stayed with my aunt - well, my Mum's cousin - I'm always confused as to what that makes her. Second cousin? Cousin once removed? Step-half-maternal-aunt-cousin-once-removed? Anyway, she was tops and I got a chance to see the city of Bremen while I was at it, which was nice.
I really had my heart set on visiting the Beck's factory, but unfortunately they only do tours from Thursday to Sunday, and I didn't like my chances of getting a tour at 3:30 in the morning today, so I had to miss out. Instead she and I wandered around the city for a bit seeing the sights. There was very little of the city left after World War 2, but what survived is very pretty.
Feldmann's, Bremen
And finally we retired to a pub for a pint of beer, as was naturally necessary. The lucky thing was, being in the home city of Beck's beer I was able to have a type that you can't get anywhere else, in this case a Haake Beck Kraeusen, which is a Pils with yeast still floating in it making it cloudy.
And now for a bunch of pictures of Venice.

1 comment:

  1. Mum's cousin: In Germany that makes it your Aunt or Uncle 2. Grades. In English speaking countries they seem to call it cousin once confused ... oops: removed.

    ReplyDelete