Tuesday 13 September 2011

Meteora

I was already almost finished with my next post when I realised I hadn't even posted about this one! The last few days, since Brindisi, have been mental.
First of all the ferry went without a hitch, except that it arrived in Igoumenitsa, Greece, at 3 in the morning and I couldn't get a wink of sleep for the whole trip. Upon arrival I found a pissy little one-horse town with absolutely nothing happening. After a lot of hunting I finally found the bus station - a poxy, crappy little building down a dusty little alleyway. After a number of minutes with my Lonely planet guide, flicking between descriptions of towns, travel suggestions and translations, I finally found out my best way to get to my next destination was to catch a bus to Ioannana na na na, then another one in direction Trikala and get off at Kalambaka. Only problem was the first bus to Ioanananana didn't leave until 7 am. That gave me about 3 hours to wait at the poxy little bus stop. Still didn't get much sleep. On the bus there, however, I managed to doze for about an hour. But my lack of sleep didn't bother me when I saw Meteora.
I found out that apparently the Irish don't have a complete monopoly on insane monks. Meteora is an area of bizarre, lunar-landscape granite columns. And naturally, in the 14th century, monks decided to build monastaries on top of them.
Behold.



No comments:

Post a Comment