Monday 26 September 2011

Rhodos (Rhodes if you will) and Pub Challenge 113

This morning I was feeling very grumpy.
Artist's impression of the Colossus
of Rhodos.
More or less where the Colossus of Rhodos
would have stood akimbo.
The plane last night was delayed by an hour, and all the time I had to wait in a tiny departure lounge servicing six gates that any respectable airport would use to service two. I then caught a tiny plane that actually had propellors (I thought they stopped making those in the fifties?). I then had to catch a taxi for five minutes to the hotel and pay the exhorbitant price of fifteen Euros for the privelege. The hotel was kinda shitty - the door to the bathroom opened about 70 degrees due to hitting the toilet, the shower curtain had at some point been removed and never replaced, planes were constantly flying overhead, and overall the room was just a little poxy. This morning I had to wait about half an hour for an overcrowded bus to Rhodos.
In Rhodos I discovered, apart from the pretty medival walls and streets, there is very little to do, and again the Buses decided to hate me, because the only archaeological sites in my Lonely Planet guide didn't have any more buses going to them today. And to top it all off, today is Monday and as such even the museum was closed. So I tramped unhappily up Mandraki harbour to the Venetian fortress. Even most of this was closed for repairs. I tried to get a good shot of the harbour with mixed success - it is apparently the original site of the Colossus of Rhodos. This statue, built entirely of Bronze, apparently stood over thirty metres tall and was apparently a depiction of Helios (though I have heard it being attributed to Apollo as well). It was considered one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, until it collapsed in an earthquake. Now there's nothing left. That didn't help my mood.
Walls of Rhodos
Soon, however, my mood made a change for the better. It started with patting a stray kitten that was probably way too friendly for its own good. After thoroughly washing my hands, I got something to eat and drink, then headed for the tourist information centre. There I picked up a map of Rhodos and discovered there was some ancient Greek ruins I could see after all: the old Acropolis, Stadium and Theatre of Rhodos.
Partially restored ruins of the Zeus temple at Rhodos
These were excavated and restored in the early twentieth century by neither Schliemann or Evans, so it actually looked in part how it may have looked over two thousand years ago. The theatre was mostly new white marble, but the stadium, it seemed, had been pieced together almost exclusively from the original pieces. The temples and sanctuaries on the acropolis weren't quite so well preserved, but no worse than most of the sites I have been to. It seems my not knowing about it beforehand is not entirely due to my own stupidity either, because there were very few tourists. And the best part was, it was completely free!
Then the final thing to make me feel good again, I found an English pub and sat down for a pint of Cider.
Top 3, Rhodos

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're happy again. Rhodos seems very interesting. Love the photos, especially the Zeus temple ruins. Hope people hundred years from now will think the same about the twentieth century restaurations of the ruins. And as far as buses are concerned, there is at least one that loves you and waits for you: Bombi the Kombi.

    ReplyDelete